The Big Mac - reverse engineering a classic

Reverse engineering is taking apart an object to see how it works in order to duplicate or enhance the object

That is exactly what I intend to do with the much maligned yet loved Big Mac. I stated in my last entry that the McDonald's Big Mac is a classic example of cutting corners for fatter profit margins. Today the Big Mac recipe is a mess of powders, processed cheese and frozen patties full of additives, fillers, binders, preservatives, extenders, and/or flavor enhancers.
Check this link ttp://stuffucanuse.com/Macdonald%20recipies.htm

I also believe that for McDonald's to have become the empire that it is today it was not all because of slick marketing. I believe that the Big Mac was once a good quality burger at least I like to think so. So let's go back in time and see. The Big Mac was invented in Uniontown, Pennsylvania by Jim Delligatti in 1967. Customer response around there was so good that it rolled-out nationally in 1968.
How does the old slogan go?
"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun”





Yea that’s it and that is what I’m going to focus on.
So I headed down to the Healthy Butcher on Queen St West and they had everything I needed. What a great place.

Hear’s my recipe:
Slow Burger (the Big Mac)
Jason Barato
Serves 4

4 Fred’s bread sesame seed buns
4 x 7oz lean ground beef (28oz)
6+4 tbsp organic spring onion, fine dice (4 tbsp onion set aside for garnish)
4 leafs organic Boston lettuce
Bottle of organic ketchup
Ground salt 20 grinds
Ground pepper 20 grinds
-preheat oven to 400F
-mix ground beef with salt, pepper and 6 tbsp of onion and set aside

Secret Sauce
1 cup organic mayo
2 tbsp organic prepared mustard
8 tbsp sweet pickles, diced
2 tbsp sweet pickle brine
-mix all ingredients and set aside

-portion out patties on parchment using a 4 inch pastry mold
-half buns crosswise
-4 small dill pickles slice length wise
-8 thin slices of very aged raw milk cheddar

- sear patties in a skillet with 4 tbsp olive oil over med high heat
-cook 4 min per side and season each side with a little salt and pepper cook to 126F using an instant read thermometer
- Heat buns for 3 mins in oven
-layer the burger from the bottom up

1- Drizzle bottom bun with 1 tbsp pan juices
2- 1 leaf organic Boston lettuce
3- 2 slices aged raw milk cheddar
4- 2 slices dill pickle
5- 1 tbsp secret sauce
6- Beef patty
7- 1 tbsp diced raw onion
8- 1 time around with organic ketchup
9- 1 tbsp pan juices on top bun and crown burger, enjoy

  
             'The Slow Burger'

Of course if you like you can 'doubledeck' the Slow Burger', but for myself I fell in love with the in your face quality of the single 8oz patty plus I have a mouth big enough to bite into a burger of that size.
Until next time.
Ciao!

2 comments:

Amber said...

MMMMMmmmmmm....I can't wait to try it!

Jason Barato said...

Thanks Amber,
If you do try it let me know what you think. I'd love the feed back.
Check back next monday for a new post.
Thanks Jason